I’m not exactly sure why, but this year I’m really excited about Cinco de Mayo. Perhaps it’s because it falls on a Saturday, or that I love a good theme party, or perhaps because I have been craving a margarita for days and days.
Let’s be honest, it’s probably the margaritas.
And with all those margaritas we probably need some food, and what better than some super easy and tasty shredded chicken tacos? These tacos are packed with flavor, healthy, and best of all ready in less than 30 minutes. And after I started writing this post, I realized I even forgot the cheese, but they were so good they didn’t even need it. Fill them with whatever you like, just add the chicken; it’s delicious!
Thirty minutes is all it takes. Easy as can be.
Then you have lots of time for margaritas.
Easy Shredded Chicken Tacos
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons minced canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup orange juice I used to large navel oranges juiced instead
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 4)
- 2 limes juiced
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- salt and pepper
- 8 to 12 tortillas depending on size, warmed
- In a 12” skillet, over medium-high heat, melt butter until foaming. Add the minced garlic and chipotles and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of cilantro, orange juice, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil, then add the chicken. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover chicken and simmer until the chicken registers 160 to 165 degrees on an instant read thermometer, about 10 to 15 minutes, flip the chicken half way through.
- Transfer cooked chicken to a plate and tent with foil.
- Increase heat to medium-high, add the lime juice and cook until the liquid is reduced to 1/4 cup, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in the yellow mustard. Shred the chicken into bite sized pieces and return to the skillet. Add the remaining cilantro, and toss until everything is well combined and chicken is coated in the sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve on warm tortillas and with toppings of your choice.
- To warm tortillas, wrap them in foil and heat in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.
Good Luck & Enjoy!!
Adapted from The Best of America’s Test Kitchen: Best Recipes and Reviews 2011, Magazine.