My baby has officially started crawling.
He has been crawling backwards for a quite a while but crawling forwards feels much more official. Imagine my excitement to tell my husband when he got home only to be informed that he had been crawling the day before, and very casually might I add. Ummm…hellooo….milestone.
And while this is all very exciting, it is also completely terrifying. Babies + random things = danger. He has pretty much discovered that he can get to all those exciting things that he hasn’t been able to touch. And it’s making him very excited and me very scared. Time to baby proof.
Remember it later
Like this recipe! Pin it to your favorite board NOW!Pin
When it comes to muffins I must admit that I tend to get into a rut. I tend to just stick to banana muffins because we always have a few speckled brown banana lingering around and my picky eaters love them. But sometimes you just need something different and blueberry muffins were just what we needed to get out of the banana muffin rut.
For us, muffins are generally an on-the-go breakfast or a snack so they have to be on the healthier side as well as filling. These muffins are made with whole grain flour, oats, and flax. Although they are filled with whole grains you won’t even know it because they are packed with so much flavour and are light in texture. They are pretty much the muffins of my dreams.
And peeps, I had to add a crumble because a crumble is everything.
Healthy Blueberry Oat Muffins with Almond-Oat Crumble
For The Crumble
- 4 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons large oats
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped raw almonds
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
For The Muffins
- 1/2 cup large oats
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil may sub canola or veg oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup white whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 heaping tablespoons ground flax
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with 12 liners or grease liberally.
For the crumble:
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar and chopped almonds. Add in the melted coconut oil and stir to combine until crumbs are formed. Set aside
For the muffins
- In a large bowl, combine the oats and the buttermilk. Let the mixture soak for about 10 minutes. Stir in the egg, both sugars, coconut oil and vanilla. Add in the flour, flax, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gently stir until it blended about halfway then add in the blueberries and gently stir just until combined. A few streaks of flour is okay, do not over mix. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tin, then top each muffin with the crumble. Bake for about 18 to 20 minutes until tops are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container or freeze in a ziploc bag.