some treats you have to long for. – this cake is such a thing. sandro steingruber, the talented chef from restaurant EPOCA at waldhaus flims mountain restort & spa, came up with this amazing recipe for a torta di pane (bread-cake). he doesnt only find the aroma of this blend of chocolate and almonds irresistible, but also likes the fact, that you can make something so divine from yestedays bread. also: you have to wait two full days, before you can savor this wonderful cake. two days longing for a cake seems like a torture. not with this one – you’ll be giddy happy to cut the first slice!
this is another recipe from our book schweizer spitzenköche für afrika – come and bake with us, for a good cause.
Torta di pane
- 500 ml milk
- 50 g butter
- 1 vanilla pod seeds scraped out
- 300 g white bread from yesterday
- 100 g dark choclate roughly chopped
- 100 g candied fruit chopped
- 100 g sultanas
- 150 g almonds ground
- some drops of almond extract
- 4 eggs about 220g
- 120 g sugar
- 2 g cinnamon about 1 teaspoon
- 10 g breadcrumbs
- 100 g pine nuts
- 20 g butter soft in flakes
- heat the oven to 180 °C.
- first combine milk, 50g butter and vanillaseeds and bring to a boil. cut the bread in cubes, then cover with the hot milk. let sit for about 30 minutes. then pure roughly.
- mix with chocolate, candied fruit, sultanas, almonds & some almond extract. mix very well.
- whip eggs, sugar and cinnamon until light and foamy. then carefully combine with the bread mixture.
- butter a springform pan (about 26cm round), then dust with the breadcrumbs. fill in the mixture, sprinkle with the pine nuts and butterflakes. bake in the oven for 70 to 80 minutes.
- then have patience and let cake stand for at least 2 days before serving.
- dust with some icing sugar before serving. enjoy!
Don’t forget to PIN this Torta di pane