This cozy peas and carrots soup is very simple and can be made in less than 30 minutes. I took the pictures at home a few days ago, but a soup like this would be perfect for a rainy day here in Tofino, sitting by the wood stove and listening to the ocean.
I’m on the coast this week, and the first thing I did when we got here is make a big pot of chicken broth. I like to go out and eat like anyone else, but can’t imagine doing this for 7 days in a row, no matter how great the restaurant food is. Good, simple homemade food is as important as a comfortable bed.
This soup doesn’t need anything else added to fill you up. The only thing I’d suggest you perhaps include a portion of poached diced chicken for added protein, but that’s about it. I add turmeric for brilliant color and garnish with chopped scallions. Parsley and cilantro would work equally well.
You will start off by sauteing some onion and garlic, add chicken stock, chopped carrots and peas, and if you’re in a pinch you can grab that peas and carrots bag right from the freezer. I don’t recommend it though… Frozen peas are fine, but use only the freshest flavorful carrots, okay? Slowly simmer everything until tender and whiz with an immersion blender. It wouldn’t be me if I didn’t season with a bit of curry powder and turmeric, but don’t overdo these — these spices are meant only to be a hint on the palate.
As always with soups, use good homemade chicken broth as the base of your soup. It’s infinitely healthier and adds greater depth of flavor than stock from a box, or made from cubes.
Creamy Peas and Carrots Soup
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1.5 cups peas frozen, don’t need to defrost
- 450 g roughly 1 lb diced carrots
- 4 cups homemade chicken broth adjust to desired consistency
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp mild curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- chopped fresh scallions parsley, or cilantro to garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional: a couple of tablespoons of cream
- Melt the butter in a stockpot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until translucent. Add the frozen peas and chopped carrots, then mix well. Add the stock, milk, coriander, curry powder, and turmeric, then and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer on low until the carrots soften, about 20 minutes.
- Purée the soup with an immersion blender (or transfer to a blender) until smooth. Add more chicken broth, if neeeded to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Add cream, if desired. Garnish with chopped scallions.