I didn’t plan on blogging about this, so I didn’t take any prep pictures. But when it was done I thought, “Why not?” Super easy. Super yummy. Super good for you. I guess that’ll teach me, huh?
This recipe is an adaptation (since I can rarely leave a recipe alone) of a recipe from a Weight Watchers Magazine cookbook called “Two’s Company”. The only thing that would have made it better is some lovely Parmesan, but I forgot to buy it at the store. Grrr.
The original recipe calls for cheese ravioli, but I’ve used a variety of filled pastas: cheese ravioli (like the recipe), cheese tortellini, cheese & chicken tortellini or ravioli. I use whatever I have on hand and it always works.
Ravioli with Spinach and Tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 14.5 oz cans petite diced tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 19 oz fresh cheese ravioli tortellini, or other filled pasta
- 6 oz fresh baby spinach coarsely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- fresh Parmesan cheese
- Combine the first 4 ingredients in a large pot and bring it all to a boil. Add the ravioli, cover and cook for 5 minutes (7 minutes if the pasta is frozen), stirring occasionally. Uncover and cook for an additional 5 minutes or until the ravioli is done.
- Stir in the spinach and sugar; cover and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Take the pot off the heat and let it stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Serve with Parmesan cheese.
– I buy my tortellini, etc. at Costco. 19 oz is one side of a Costco double pack.
– I’ve noticed the big ravioli (like in these pictures) like to tear open while they cook, so stir them very gently.